Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wiring diagrams - with real wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeHalloran

Mechanical
Aug 29, 2003
US
Our technicians generally do not understand, and are not expected to understand, schematics or ladder diagrams. They build moderately complex industrial control panels from what are essentially simplified pictorials, showing each and every actual wire going, e.g., from terminal A of contactor N to terminal B of contactor R, a single line per wire.

In color. The color of the actual wires. Including wires that are not just one color, e.g. red with a black tracer, black with a red tracer, etc.

The question: How to represent the wires?

I've had a little success overlaying a line drawn with 'hidden' linetype in one color with a second line drawn in 'dashdot' linetype in another color on another layer. But I get blank areas where there's no color, the result doesn't really look all that great, and it's kind of a pita to draw the same line twice.

Suggestions?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Per basic drafting practices, show the color next to the line. i.e., RED, BLU, GRN, WHT, BLK, etc. Plus the gage size.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Yes, we do annotate the lines with color designation and gage.

Todd, thanks. That command has potential.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

update:

The mlstyle editor is not a model of clarity or ease of use, but it works. Five hidden lines in dark gray with a contrasting fill color works pretty well for combinations like yel/blk and orn/blk. The dashdot linetype worked surprisingly well for blk/red, which came out visually distinct from red/blk(with hidden lines).

I'm still not real pleased with the solid color mlines, ex. yellow fill and center between dark gray continuous lines. At some scales, the border overpowers the color, but it still beats the hell out of a wide yellow line on a print.

Luckily, the boss didn't ask for radiused corners, yet.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back