Wood cleats on steps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtal01

Mechanical
Mar 15, 2012
US
So, back to the workshop project ....

At some point soon, I will need steps. I am going to go up to a mezzanine, then onto the attic / storage are ... 18 ft total.

I have built steps using notched stringers .... I have built steps where I have cut a grove in the stringer for the tread.

Since this is a workshop, it does not have to be pretty.

I looked at metal cleats (really just a piece of angle with holes) but at $7 each .. ouch!

Then I remembered seeing a set of steps with wood cleats ... simple 2 x 4

I tried to look it up on the web ... I found one guy showing how to build a stairway like this ... and another saying it would never pass inspection (OK, we don't have inspectors here in rural VT but just because you can get away with something doesn't mean you should).

So, is there a reason not to use wood cleats on steps?

I would think the stringer would be a lot stronger as you are not notching it for each step.

If you are worried about the cleats only being nailed on, then I would have the same worry with metal cleats.

Just what to know if there is a reason not to build them this way.

Thanks!

Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't see an issue here. It goes a long way to minimizing squeaks if you glue the cleats prior to screwing them on. Same goes for the tread to cleat attachment. PL Premium is your friend.

Thanks!

Love PL! I can't tell you how many tubes I went through on the house.

I am just starting with the floor joists next week ... PL on the top of every one before putting down the sub floor. Not too worked about squeaks in a workshop but I am sure Ia gaining a fair bit of strength.

Also, I do use a lot of screws ... and not brittle dry wall screws. I was just reading last night on fasteners for my joist hangers. Each takes 16 3 1/2" nails ... lots of pounding into very hard LVL's. Simpson makes special screws rated for their fasteners ... a bit more money but might save my arm.

Thanks!

Mike

If you don't have an intermediate landing for that staircase, I hope you are using some beefy stringers and not notching them. 18' height is asking a lot of any 2x stringers.

The simpson SDS screws are quite nice to use, especially with the hex head, they really help with driving them into dense material.

Reviews says the Estwing drives 16d nails.

==========.
I have not tried 16d with my Porter Cable palm nailer, but I guess some folks have. I bet pressure over 90 psi with a short fat air hose and full sized fittings is required for maximum pep.

Q:will it work on 16D nails?

2 Answers
Answer This Question
A: Yes, it will. I constructed window frames using this nailer and 16D nails.

A: Yes and more. Up to 6 inch nails​

Thanks guys!

Wow ... I forgot I have a palm nailer ... hand not used it in years.

I have a bunch hangers to install for floor joists.

I can use it as you need to use the holes in the hangers and the Simpson nails to got with it.

Yes, I have a landing at the 10 ft mark ... actually that is the mezzanine level

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back