Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wood cutting in tight spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASOT

Electrical
Jul 23, 2020
NO
Hello,

I am new to the forum, I am a educated electrical engineer/technician. Reason its either is that its a few points of bachelor. Enough of that.

I have a problem that requires me to cut a 1.5" piece of wood for about 8,5m in really tight sace (between to buildings 6cm ish space).

I couldnt find any dedicated forum for this so remove if missplaced.

I have concluded that I need a wire cutting tool. or a very long saw. any tips?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Interesting problem.
Likely there are lots of folks out there smarter than me and have better solutions.
Solution really depends on your accuracy, cut quality, and cost limits.

But over my bleary-eyed morning coffee I envisioned a DIY rig with a pulley on each end of the board through which an abrasive wire is run. Kind of like a chain saw operation but not as much hassle.
Websearch for "diamond wire" or "abrasive wire."

(sips coffee and ponders more...)

Or...purchase a spool of bandsaw blade stock. Cut to length, weld it together, and rig up a pulley system. Make a big DIY horizontal bandsaw for one-time use.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Let's clarify your problem:

Piece of wood 1.5" (3.8 cm) thick that is to be ripped lengthwise.
The length of the wood is 8.5 m (334.6" or 27.9')
The piece of wood is about 3.26" (6 cm) wide where the "saw" would have to fit between two buildings.

How far from the edge of the wood is the saw cut (near center, edge or no preference)?
Is both the top and underside of the wood accessible for a saw?

Tool choice would depend a lot on the answers to the last 2 questions.

This may be an alternative to a saw:
Can Waterjets Cut Wood
From <
Walt

A commercial power washer also can cut wood, in fact I am trying to recover a farm implement that a tree has grown around and the power washer is my next experiment.

You have four clearance issues, I'm sorry to report, your phrasing does NOT clarify where the problem lies.

One. You need room for the driver (the saw, the drill, the handle, the clamp the vise grip) = What ever you are going to HOLD the saw blade or drill or knife edge that will cut the wood.

Two. You need room to either agitate the saw blade back and forth, to push the drill or saw or router or the bandsaw into the wood. A had saw needs room to pull and push the saw -even if only two teeth worth!. A drill MUST be able to have room to start the drill into position, then push into the wood - even if at an angle at first then to be pushed vertical), or to pull out at the end.

If a saw or router or jig saw, you need room on the OTHER SIDE of the wood to oscillate the blade in and out of the wood. One of today's modern "sweeping" sawblades needs room to oscillate sideways through the wood, then go back the other way. Same principle: You can't cut sideways exactly to the edge of the wood, but usually end up leaving a tiny )or broad) notch in the wood touching the far side.

So let's say you going to use a high-pressure pressure washer (or sand blast tool) to blow away the wood: You will still blast the back side of the wood - you cannot "cut an exact depth" like a router does. If a router, you need room above the wood top (exposed) surface to push the router around, and need room for the router motor to clear so the router exposed rotating tool, and get to the wood. A jig saw blade oscillates up and down but usually) has to cut THROUGH the entire wood so the far side blade extends past the far edge of the wood. Otherwise your jig saw is pushing into the uncut wood - pushing back up the bade and saw into your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back