Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wood Diaphragm Chord Discontinuity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mstrux92

Structural
Mar 21, 2020
US
Hello,

I am designing a residence where all openings (doors and windows) are floor to ceiling. Single story house. This will cause a break in my diaphragm chord at every opening. I am planning to pocket the headers into the trusses. However, to create a continuous chord I am a little leery of simply strapping bottom of beam to top of wall plate. I have confidence in this detail when the chord is in tension, but in compression the strap will offer little resistance, and I will be relying on the contractor to install TIGHT blocking between my headers and all roof framing. Do you have any suggestions for a construct-able solution?

I am leaning towards coil strap over truss blocking offset approximately 1' from each opening (or less) and lapping the top plates each end of each opening. Needless to say, this is a fair amount of strapping and blocking, but straps and blocks are cheap..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why not use the band/rim board (nomenclature may vary by location) as your chord? Just make sure it has adequate tension capacity (usually does) and you have an adequate splice detail (a pair of straps is usually enough).

Everything you are asking for is custom. You said yourself you'll be pocketing the headers, why not then pocket a band board/ribbon board into the trusses.

You can't have fancy without the costs associated with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back