Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wood moment frame connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

akamike

Structural
Jul 19, 2004
US
I designed a steel moment frame for a residential 2-story window "wing" (no 2nd floor), but the contractor would prefer to use a wood moment frame. I have 12" of wall on each side of the windows. I'm concerned about the deflection (thanks to the much lower modulus of elasticity of wood).

(a) I'm assuming a wood moment connection will not resist 100% of moment with slippage, etc. What is a good percentage of moment resistance to assume in my analysis?
(b) What is a good way to detail the wood beam/column connection to stiffen up the moment frame for less deflection?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depending on the height of the wall and the spacing of the members (the width of the windows) we usually use LVL members and have never had a problem with over stressing or too much deflection. I'm in NC and in the mountains and often have window walls in the 130 mph zones. But we design them as simple beams and not moment frames.

BRL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back