Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wood/Plastic Composite

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonLeffingwellPE

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2000
US
I am looking for sources of information on extrusion processes for making wood/plastic composite products. Specifically machinery and process specifications; and material properties.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a process for continuously compounding wood flour (or other cellulosics) and polymers using a twin screw extruder. COntact Keith Kay at 201-512-3527 or at kkay@wp-corp.com for more details. One important question is the rates. What is appropriate for 500 pphr is not the best for 2000+ pphr.

Thank you Steve.

I will contact these people after the Holidays. This project most likely
has been dropped. I have read about the wood flour and polymer twin screw extrusion
technique at the Forest Products Lab site back in April. I sent them a letter and didn't receive a response. I am still interested in what is commercialy available.

Don Leffingwell

The composite technology has been around for at least 20 years. Vented Conical twin screw extruder is the equipment to run. Formulation of wood powder,HDPE, lubricant, and coupling agent will be a key factor. You can also try wheat straw or agricultural waste composite material. They are fun to try out.If you are interested, e mail me at onyxpm@hotmail.com.

Not to knock the industry, but let's be a little realistic... 2x as heavy as conventional lumber, 1/2 as strong, and 3-4x the price... and, recent tests by CA state facilities indicate they are more prone to reignition than standard redwood in brushfire situations.

What is the chief allure of this product? I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back