Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wood Roof Framing Connection to Unreinforced Terra Cotta Bock

Status
Not open for further replies.

_csways

Structural
Jun 1, 2020
US
We are looking to repair and/or replace a wood-framed roof bearing on unreinforced terra cotta block. A sketch of the approximate existing condition is below.

20201021_124834_ocpy7j.jpg

Current attachment is via galvanized tire wire. I hesitate to specify any of the commercially-available framing connectors as they all require installation of several Tapcons within in small area and deterioration of the terra cotta block is a concern. Has anyone had success with something similar?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know where you are in the world but I am certain many communities in the USA would not accept this design. I personally would not undertake this project regardless where you are in the world. If you undertake this project make sure the owner knows about the problem(s) and agree to hold you harmless of any damage and in the USA contact the community engineering department for their comment.
Sometime ago a resident of my area build a 6' high cement block wall for an attached garage and when he backfilled the outside of the concrete block wall it nearly collapsed inward because he had no rebar imbedded in concrete within the block, so he was lucky to make the necessary corrections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back