Wood Truss Connections Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

MohEssa

Civil/Environmental
Apr 30, 2015
EG
Hello,
There's A Bridge Design Competition Starting at My University which i am a Member of it's academic Managing Team
The Idea is to teach First & Second Year Students how to build a Wood Truss Bridge Of Dimensions 45-50cm Span & 10 cm Cantil. & 12 cm Height At MAX
The Bridge Then Will Go To Test Phase with 2 Categories , First One Determining MAX Load For Each Bridge Until Failure & Second Is Handling With A Moving Load
I Face Some Problems In Understanding The Connections Design Procedure
I Searched For References & Books But Unfortunately didn't Find What I am Looking for
Our Truss Models Members will be of 6 x 6 mm Square & 5mm Circular Diameter Dimensions
So The Bolt Connections Will not be good , we actually will use White Glue For The Connections
We Got the glue's properties
But The Design Procedure isn't clear to me till now
any help will be greatly appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know if you could realistically apply any design to the connections. I think you design the members for their forces, and then pray that the glue gets enough bond and has enough strength to transfer the stresses between members at the nodes.

There are many kinds of Glue, as i was notified some of them is powerful
The Problem is in 2 things that i couldn't find
1- Plates Design Procedure
2- Glue Calculations ( How Much I Need For The Connection & Area Of Contact Between Member , Glue & Plate )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back