Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Woodruff Key - 91?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flexmaster

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2002
US
On a drawing it was indicated to use a Woodruff key #91.
The machinist handbook starts at 202. Was there an old number system that was different? Drawing is 46 years old as I am.

A measured one that is probably not deep enough matches in the neighborhood of a 606. But again, was there an older system?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes there was, and you are right it was changed a long time ago. There are very few designs today that still use woodruff keys. Most all designs today use a square key just for the economy of it. I engineer and design machines on a daily basis and cost is always a first consideration. If you must use a woodruff key just look at the size of the hole in the part and then look at one of the newer woodruff keys which will give you the tollerance. You can use the two matting parts to determine the correct replacement dimensions. But personally if I could replace it with a retangular key I would. The advantage of a woodruff key is once it is placed in the part it won't move. Oh well, let me know if this helps.

Did you help? Yes, you helped my sanity. I let the machinist adlib to solve his problem (weeks ago). So how old a machinist handbook would I need to find it?

Brad

I checked my 1951 Marks Standard and Woodruff keys are referenced by the 204, 304, 305, etc. numbering system. Must need to go back quite a way to see a #91.

According to "Machinery's Handbook" of 1964 the number #202 is an American Standard Key Number while the #91 is a Manufacturers' Number. The 91 is between the 606 and 507, it is 1/4" thick and 3/4" long. The 606 is 3/16" * 3/4" .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back