Woodward 2301E gov on CAT ADEM3/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP1080

Industrial
May 29, 2020
CA
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone have experience with the Woodward 2301E digital governor. Our site will be equipped with 2 new CAT C27 engines with ADEM A4 and one existant mechanical engine. We want to use the 2301E for load sharing over all the engines, is it the best option or we gonna have problems ? Is it better to use only a DSLC-2 module for the electronic engines and a DSLC-2 + Woodward 2301E on the mechanical engine, so we will use the analog input #2 (2301E) to get the speed bias coming from the DSLC-2.

What is the parameter to adjust to PWM in the ADEM, is the "direct fuel control" available in the ADEM A4 ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I found this which you may have also:

""There is no single A&I guide for the ECM's in general, as I said before, there are a number of special instructions published for ADEM controls applied to specific applications. A fairly broad general description of some of the ECM's is contained in LEBW4981 Diesel Engine Control Systems.""

It was also said that there is no external access to the memory in the 3 but it's ambiguous about if this applies to the 4. I don't know anything about these ECM's but if there is no access to the memory doesn't that suggest PWM is limited to "as programed?"

"Direct Fuel Control" was mostly provided on engines models and ratings in power generation and oil and gas service to be compatible with older mechanical engines already in the owners fleet. They are not available "across the board" on all engine EPG models.

The C27 may or may not have direct fuel control, you will need to contact your CAT dealer to verify if it is available in the engines ECM flash file for the model and rating you are purchasing.

The 2301E is a very capable control and I deal with them on a regular basis, but i find they do not provide as good as integration between existing mechanical engine based system and adding newer electronically controlled engines into the mix.

In my opinion going the DSLC2 route would give you the best solution, certainly not the cheapest, but then you utilize the standard analog or PWM speed bias output from the DSLC2 into the engine ECM controls, and the DSLC2 on the mechanical engine properly interfaced with the 2301E will provide you with both very ggod real and reactive power sharing control. Since you didn't comment in your original post how you were planning to do VAR (reactive power) sharing between the units, I further suggest the DSLC2, as droop or cross current VAR sharing between new and older units can sometimes be a challenge to get setup correctly and provide proper proportional VAR sharing thruout the load range.

All "external access to memory" to adjust settings and available options is done thru the Caterpillar Service Tool Electronic Technician (CAT ET), if the unit is equipped the an EMCP control panel, some features are available to be adjusted thru the setup menus in the EMCP.

Using CAT ET, to set what kind of signal (analog voltage, analog current or PWM) for the Speed Bias input, is in Configuration in the Speed Settings menu. What is available is determined by the flash file, not all engine models and rating have every speed input option available.

Hope that helps, MikeL.

WOW! Unitrol 1020 on a cat C27, I never saw that AVR used on a generator below 1MW.
There are certainly many ways to achieve speed and voltage biasing on a C27. Newer model caterpillar, with EMCP4.3 and 4.4, speed/ volt biasing can be done with digital or analog( 0-10V) input via the EMCP 4.3 and 4.4, so there is no need to send a PWM signal to the ADEM 4. Also, most newer cat comes with IVR that is being control from the EMCP.The DSLC-2 can be use to control both the voltage and speed on the electronic cats and the DSLC-2 plus 2301E for the mechanical governor.

ALSO,You can look into the easygen3000XT as an option.

Regards,
JS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back