Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Word 97 Outline Numbering Format Help needed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolmantwo

Mechanical
Dec 23, 2003
US
Not a spreadsheet question, but you might know how to help.

For assembly instructions we want to use the option to format the Microsoft Word 97 Sr-2 document with outline numbering style. It should look like this when done.

1.0 Heading
1.1 sub heading (first step of a process)
1.2 Sub heading (second step of a process)
1.3 Sub heading (Third step of a process)

I can get this to work on one computer and save the formatting along with the document file. This formatting was custom built in the extended customizing option from the "canned choice" in Customize Outline Numbered List. I went to "Format", "Bullets and Numbering", Outline Numbered" TAB, then selecting a canned choice of like format showing 1.1, ...... then "Customize" and altered it until I had what I liked.

The problem is that when this file is opened by another computer the formatting is lost (Not retained in the file when opened).

I also found that I cannot change the formatting of an existing file with the text already entered, I cannot edit it correctly to include the correct numbering format in outline. I can only build new documents with the formatting from a template (Empty file). Have any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

> You could try to copy Normal.dot, which is the master template to the other computer

> You might try posting this question on Tek-Tips.com, which has a Microsoft Office forum

TTFN

IRstuff, thanks

I have found the site and posted the same question. So that is worth a star. I am not sure how the normal.dot will change the retention, and I did not try it yet. I can let you know if it worked OK. Others might have another recommendation for me.

That Tek-Tips.com looks like it has tons of information. They may be able to help this old dog learn new tricks.

Have a productive day, John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back