Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workbench to Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTJones

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2006
US
I am new to this eng-tips stuff, but I wanted to ask a question regarding the use of ANSYS Classic. Classic seems to be a favorite amoung users posting here, but I have found that it is nearly impossible to import geometry from AutoDesk products. We recently purchased a plugin that works for Workbench very nicely, but Workbench lacks the full functionality of Classic ANSYS, and the plugin doesn't work for direct conversion from Autodesk to Classic. I am not an ANSYS Classic user, but I would like to try p elements in ANSYS Classic for a complicated and large model. I also occasionally solve on a supercomputer which takes ANSYS input files generated from Workbench, but the post processing is a pain since there are no areas or volumes. When I write out an ANSYS Classic input file it seems that the mesh and loads are the only things transferred. Any words of wisdom? Are other users just modelling within Classic? Almost all of my models take several days in a CAD program to model.

Thanks,
JT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
as discussed elsewhere in this forum, WB will only transfer FE items and NOT solid model information to Classical. There is no way round.
But you can play with named selections in order to be able to select in Classical the same regions of interest that you had in WB. Of course, this needs a careful planning before transferring, in order to make sure you don't "forget" interesting items (after you have transfered, it's too late; you can only use selections by location).

Regards

If you have a high end computer, you should try to set up RSM (remote solution manager). It allows remote solve of WB problems. Once the solution is done, you download the results and post process in workbench. There would be three computers involved. A web server (handles the file transfer, running windows server), your local computer, and a solution computer (supercomputer as you termed it). All the software you need comes with ansys, but it does take some time to set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back