Workbench/Workflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithson1984

Marine/Ocean
Feb 1, 2013
GB
Hello Everyone,

I am relatively new to the world of ANSYS (I just started a graduate scheme this year as a tidal energy engineer). I have spent the most of my ANSYS experience using ANSYS Mechanical but I'm just starting to use the other tools the package has to offer also. I wish to set up an FSI model using Fluent and Mechanical within Workbench.

What I wish to achieve is:

1) A fluent model which predicts the loads encountered by a tidal turbine during operation
2) A coupled Static Structural model to investigate the stress/strain/deformations within the turbine supporting structure during the same operation.

My problem is that the because of the costly run time of the CFD analysis only the outer surfaces of the structure are modeled. However, for the structural analysis I wish to model the internal elements of the structure (i.e the brackets, I-beams etc.) but I am unable to edit the geometry.

So, does anyone know if there a method of linking these two systems and then inserting geometry into the Static Structural model only? It should be noted that any additional geometry will be internal and will not affect the surfaces at which the FSI will take place.

Any input into this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back