Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Workflow methodology for cable and assembly import

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmoxam

Mechanical
Jul 21, 2011
i have been struggling with some cables, trying to export wire information from AutoCAD Electrical 2010 to Inventor 2011. It seems that each time i try, that there is something that i forgot to do in one or the other program. For instance, when i transferred the first time i forgot the splices in Electrical. When i added them Inventor wanted to relate them now to splices in Inventor. So i guess i should have created them first.
Although there is a help file for each program they don't really talk about concurrent design of the same part in both programs.
What do YOU do when exporting/importing cable assembly information between the two programs ?
What are the steps to take in each program prior to export/import so that the transfer goes seamlessly? ie. create splices in both programs. (When/why?)
Does anyone have a checklist? Kind of a cables and assys for dummies?

Tim Moxam
Senior Mechanical Designer
Aversan Inc.
Toronto,Ontario,Canada

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is very little documentation for the cable/harness module and even less people using it to the extent you do. 99% of us complain because we don't even have Autocad Electrical. It should come with Inventor Pro instead of Autocad Mechanical. So you are probably on your own.

2013 Product Design Suite will have the option for Electrical with it now as well.

As far as Cable and Harness goes, there is a book on the market for the module, but you normally have to go through your VAR for training to obtain the book until it becomes public (should be soon).

Until then, there are a couple good courses on Autodesk University that discuss Cable and Harness and the import/export with Electrical. I did one about 3-4 years ago on the simple integration and some setup steps invloved with the IWL library file. A friend of mine did another more in depth one last year I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back