Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Working on a flowing oil pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akhibi

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2003
GB
I am working on a new project that adding a by-pass to an active line. What methods can you guys advice me on other than hot tapping. Pleas give me details.

Greg Akhibi
ABB Lumus Global

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Come back with the information requested by Thomasjl where you will be able to get the benefits of other peoples experiences or advice in the proper direction for your project.
Make sure you let us know if you are talking of installing a bypass without welding to the existing line or the possibility of freezing the line to add a tee and valve.

Here are three sites that are in the business of hot tapping. You can get an idea of what’s out there.

One thing I like to emphasize is that by most codes or jurisdictions there is no such thing as a temporary line. Any branched line attached to an existing line should comply with same design parameters as the main line.

Sooo sorry guys,

I was sent to the fields for an emergency pipeline repair and only got out today.

We intend performing a sectional replacement and the way we've being doing this is by creating a by-pass arround the bad spot using hot tapping and line blocking techniques.

I was only hoping that u will be able to give me some new ideas in the industries. I have come across some great ideas from u all and I believe there could be something on this too.

Greg Akhibi
ABB Lumus Global

For emergency pipeline repair (erosion, corrosion, pinhole blow-outs, etc), we normally get Furmanite ( guys to machine two-part clamps which are then bolted together in-situ, and some sort of sealing resin pumped in. Works excellent all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back