Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Working with RISA Floor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewstructure

Structural
Dec 22, 2009
US
Is there some way to get columns and beams to move with gridlines when I change them? I want to make a preliminary model and adjust it as the design changes.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not exactly what you're after but if you use the "Select or Unselect based on other criteria" button on the left to pick members at certain coordinates or by certain type.

There is also a method in RISA 3D where you can sort your members in spreadsheet by coordinates then automatically renumber/label the members. That would allow you to pick a range based on labels (for example, you would know that M9 to M22 was on gridline E).

You need to complain to RISA about this. This used to be very easy. If the column was on a project grid line, then it was glued to the grid line and moved when you moved the project grid line.

When RISA re-configured the way the project grid worked, they eliminated this functionality.... promising (I believe) to add it back in at a later date to the customers who objected. Call them on it!! That's probably the only way it will get added back in. :)

No, I left when Bruce sold the company to Nemetschek. Now, I'm back to regular engineering practice again. A bit of a challenge after 16 years in software. But, it's a pleasant challenge.

@Andrewstructure
In RISAFloor, if you have a structure drawn to project grid lines and you decide that a grid line needs to be changed(as well as all the members drawn to it) you can easily do so from within the Project Grid spreadsheet by just adjusting the coordinates for the subject grid. Some people like this behavior while others do not want the model to be attached to their grids. If you want to move grid lines without moving any portion of your model, there is a check box in the upper right hand corner of the Project Grid spreadsheet that says "Detach Model". This check box was added in when RISAFloor went back to the same behavior it previously had of having the model attached to the grid lines. As @JoshPlum had stated, many customers voiced their preference for the model to be attached to the grids, so RISA listened and made the change back to the way it was in previous versions. But to keep both sides happy, the check box was added for flexibility. This behavior(and the check box) was included in version 12.0.0 of RISAFloor which was released at the beginning of October, 2017. We base our new features and enhancements on user requests, so as @JoshPlum stated, email us your suggestions.

Yes, Andrew's been with RISA maybe 8 months now. He's a really bright guy. I expect great things out of him in the coming years.

That being said, I imagine he's stretched a little thin right now. My belief is he's taking over a lot of my technical responsibilities at RISA. And, that's probably too much for him to absorb all at once. He's smart enough that he'll be able to do it eventually. However, I doubt he'll have quite as much time to devote to Eng-Tips as I did. At least not for awhile. I would expect we'll hear from him when there is something "sensitive" that RISA / Nemetschek feels they need to chime in on.

@CCox
I do work for RISA, but I'm on Eng-tips to just try to apply the knowledge that I do have and help anybody that I can. As Josh had assumed, I am very busy, but I do try to get on the Forums a few times a week. I really enjoy helping people out and the questions that come up about RISA are interesting to me because people tend to ask questions more freely on here than they might if contacting RISA tech support, directly. Josh has a great deal of knowledge of RISA, but we are making some huge changes in the software and it may be difficult to stay up with all the enhancements and new features that are being implemented.

@JoshPlum
Thanks Josh. I appreciate that. I would hope you have high expectations, since you were part of the decision of me getting hired at RISA :). I am trying very hard and hope to keep building my knowledge and experience with RISA software and the entire field of structural engineering. I am busy, but the topics I respond on in this forum will typically be the opposite of that you suspected I would. I try not to get involved in any of the "sensitive" subjects and will just be trying to help with questions I feel I can answer confidently as an structural engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back