Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workspace limits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, it is the same in SW2008. Assume it is the same in SW2009, will not know until they release it for beta in the next week or so.

No magic that I am aware of to get around those workspace limits.

Be sure to put in an enhancement request to change the limits.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
SW2008 SP4.0ev, Windows Vista SP1
IBM ThinkPad T61p, T7800, FX570M, 4 gigs of RAM

No, it's much more than that.

I just created a cylindrical part R500m x 500m long, then inserted that into an assy and made a pattern of 1000 instances at 1000m spacing ... and then mirrored the pattern.

[cheers]

I don´t know, but it´s hard to find any object on earth that is manufactured of a single object 500 meters tall? Perhaps a cable of some sort perhaps...

In Australia the 1 km limit has been a big inconvenience for those trying to use Solidworks for mining and process plant layout and design. I am aware of one company that jumped to Pro E because of this limitation.

I recently tried to sketch a belt conveyor profile with a concave vertical curve that was around 600 m. This is not unusual in some of the belts we design. The conveyor was about 500m long.

It was interesting that I could not use a radius of 600 m. The program may assume the diameter formed by the radius.

There are some plant layout packages that can be used for for process plant design. The big advantage of these is supposed to be the interface between P&ID's and arrangement drawings. I understand these packages are limited when it comes to areas like crushing and screening which typically have a lot of conveyors and chutes. In the company for whom I'm currently working, they are using Inventor to model equipment which is then imported into the plant layout package.

It seems to me that at present Pro E has the jump on Solidworks in this environment, however, I'd like to think that SW is closing the gap fast.

I have been advised that the 1 k limit is to be lifted in the 2009 version of SW. Hopefully this will be operational within the next five years...

As Decca mentioned in mining there are problem. We have for example a 3.6 km long conveyorbelt.
can't anyone "hack" some dll-file or someting to get past the limitations? "It can't be rocketscience"

I don't wont to get back to Microstation......

No real change it seems.

SW2009 What's New said:
Assemblies Larger Than One Kilometer

You can now create assemblies which are larger than one kilometer. Though individual parts must be less than one kilometer (1000m; ~3280 feet; ~3,9370 inches), you can assemble parts such that the overall size of the assembly exceeds one kilometer.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back