Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

worm gear, helix angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

spears

Mechanical
Jan 24, 2005
US
Does a worm gear have to be helical? Or can it be a spur gear?

My output shaft angle is 58 degrees instead of the common 90 degrees. I have read from several sources to treat this as a crossed axis helical gear configuration. Crossed axis helical gears with opposite hands, require that

(worm,helix-angle) + (gear,helix-angle) = output shaft angle

According to this equation a spur gear with a helix of 0 degrees and a worm with a helix of, say, 15 degrees would have a output angle of 15. Thus, for a 90 degree angle the worm gear must be helical to compensate for the worm helix angle.

If anyone has information on this subject I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Spears

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is true that you are talking about a kind of crossed helical arrangement. All crossed helical arrangements suffer from point contact, as opposed to the much more desirable line contact of parallel shaft spur or helical arrangments. Neither a helical gear nor a spur gear can serve as a proper worm gear. A true worm gear has curvature across the face width, which makes for line contact with the worm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back