Worm gear specification/design

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardyb

Automotive
Apr 16, 2010
GB
evening all!

gears aren't my area of expertise but i need one on a system we are designing. im looking for some advice/guidance on how to go about designing a worm gear and delivering the necessary information for manufacture?

I know the required speed reduction and packaging constraints but if i was to spec one for manufacture how do i calculate everything needed so i can give a manufacturer a drawing? are there any very good books on this?

Many Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here are links to two contemporary books on the subject:

The Theory and Practice of Worm Gear Drives

Design and Application of the Worm Gear

Here are some links to historic books, which are freely available:

Design of worm and spiral gears : a manual for the design and manufacture of all-recess-action worm and spiral gear drives

Worm gearing

Also, the websites for magazines Gear Technology and Gear Solutions both have technical articles available for free download, likely with some content specific to worm gears.

many thanks i currently have Gear Geometry and Applied Theory, Machine Design theory and practice and Gear Design by W.A.Tuplin.

These have been useful but i think Design and Application of the Worm Gear looks very useful as well as Design of worm and spiral gears : a manual for the design and manufacture of all-recess-action worm and spiral gear drives.

Many Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back