Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Would the water flow around this insert be equal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Keep the upstream length free of obstructions for 10 pipe diameters to allow the flow to fully develop and be uniform then it should be very close. The flow will be very close to even, but never exact in reality.

I don't believe it would, no. to a certain extent it will depend on the flow velocity - what sort of flow velocity in the pipe and the insert were you thinking of? Any sort of swirl or uneven flow will switch flow from one side to the other. Maybe o the way in include a flow conditioning plate?

The vertical flow velocity is unlikely to be equal either, due in part to the turbulence created by that sudden change of diameter / change from round to square.

I would make the in and out pipes at least equal to the height of the cut out for as far back as you can go and make the section square rather than round

how even does it need to be?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

They will never be exactly equal, mother nature doesn't work that way. LittleInch has the essential question "how even does it need to be?" If mass flow rate needs to be within about 10% of each other then you probably don't need to do anything to make that happen. Much better than that, and you need to size the branches so that they run each run full (even if the trunk does not run full) before any of the other things suggested will be effective.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

The cooling flow is pressurized to achieve turbulent flow in this aplication to optimze cooling if this helps at all. A friend suggested I place an in line baffle/diverter from the cylindrical suface to the inlet pipe and outlet pipe creating two seperate circuits around the cylinder, I think that would create more possibility of imbalance if the baffles are not exactly central to the inlet and outlet pipes. If the size of the channel going around the cylinder were to change in volume compared to the inlet pipe could this help me achieve better results. Also if any one could lead me to where I might gain information for this issue.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e88893f1-0eda-4b33-9c3b-3c4940266969&file=WATERFLOW2.jpg
What is the insert material? If it's sufficiently conductive, then the water flow could be irrelevant. Otherwise, you might consider wrapping the insert with a layer copper.

How fast is the water flowing? If it's very fast, the thermal path might be dominated by the insert, and by extension, whatever's inside the insert

TTFN
faq731-376
Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

If the cylinder is to have as uniform a temperature as possible, the water must have a very small temperature rise going from inlet to outlet. Assuming the mass flow rate is high enough to achieve this, the side to side flow difference becomes irrelevant.

je suis charlie

How about this as an alternative?

Flow in high one side, have a slotted or disc with holes in and the outlet on the lower side of the disc located half way down your slot.

There would be equal flow paths from one to the other, but should distribute it a bit better and if you can map the temperature accurately then you could vary hole size slightly to move flow from one area to another.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fc1dfd11-a704-49b3-8fe6-faea644d2693&file=CCF28082015_0000.pdf
Little inch simplicty in manufacturing is key in this instance, Your layout would give me much more even cooling though.
From what I am uderstanding from all your responses my intial layout should give me results that I am looking as the insert is highly thermal conductive
and the cooling flow is turbulent to optimize transfer from the insert to the coolant. I was mostly not sure if the coolant would take one path only around the insert and not both as I

Thank you all for your responses.

I can understand that, it was only after I drew it that I though "how would you make it..."

I would go for the long straight inlet pipe or the flow conditioner in the inlet pipe to have the best chance of relatively even flow.

You might want to check it won't start shedding vortices. I don't think you'll have vibration issues, but it won't do the system much good.

You want to make sure that the flow area of the two branches is less than the flow area of the inlet line, and perhaps even add a little more restriction in the two branches just before they come back together.
If there is little pressure drop then there is little force to even the flow out.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back