Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Would you choose Solidworks or NX? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old3DNewbie

Industrial
Jul 6, 2019
ES
For machine designing made of metal profiles, sheet metal and simple mechanisms. No surfacing.

Is it better Solidworks in 2D drawing, while NX is fastest in 3D modeling?
Which one would you choose?

Seller told me that Dassault Systemes was focusing on Catia, letting Solidworks with less developing progressively.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use both. I wouldn't spend money on NX unless there was a very compelling reason. It doesn't sound like that's the case for you.

The fact is that NX is offered about same price than Solidworks. I don't know if it would be because it is a very basic configuration (no extras).

I lost track of NX cost. Used to be astronomical, like $50k/year including leased workstation.

Even if cost is equal, stick w/ SW unless you need the capability. Better user interface. Less demanding on hardware. Better customer service. Easier to hire qualified users.

There is a heck of a lot you get as standard with Solidworks that you don't get with NX. Is the STEP translator now included with the basic NX modelling package ?

Various NX licenses are packaged up in "bundles". The "mach 1 design" bundle is a lower tier package that gives you 3D modeling, assemblies, sheet metal, drafting, and the translators: dxf/dwg, IGES, STEP (203/214), and parasolid.

Some of the advantages of NX (either real or imagined) include the surfacing capabilities and the tight integration of the CAM and CAE modules. If you don't need these capabilities, other CAD packages will be just as good (possibly better) for your needs. If you do need those capabilities, the cost will increase significantly...

The only advantage to NX is that they've been running integrated CAM for years and they have compatibility with a lot of machines. SolidWorks is far superior for modeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back