Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

WPS for dissimilar P11 - A105

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre_91

Industrial
May 16, 2023
FR
Good morning to everybody. I have a question for everybody who has more knowledge about the matter. We are welding P11 base metal to C.S. with E8018-B2 electrode, and precisely i'm talking about weld between the shoe (in C.S.) and reinforcing pad (in P11), so a weld not produced on parts under pressure. In order to produce theese welds we are using the same WPS used for P11 to P11 welds, since according to ASME IX – QW-424.1:
Base Metal(s) Used for Procedure Qualification Coupon:
One metal from P‐No. 4 to any metal from P‐No. 4
Base Metals Qualified:
Any P‐No. 4 metal to any metal assigned P‐No. 4, 3, or 1
Client is not accepting the WPS telling us we need to produce another WPS, with a different name/identification just for dissimilar welds P11/CS. My question is: is the client right? Or the same WPS can fit for both type of welds P11-P11 and P11-C.S.? Is it possible to make a "revision" of the same WPS by explicit including A105 base metal in the WPS, still indentifying the WPS with the same name?

Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9606c7c0-ebb5-4690-acac-cd07b769c632&file=P11.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You revise the WPS but the supprting PQR remains the same and all essential variable remain the same except for the P No classifications to be welded (P3 to P1).

If I was your Client I would reject your WPS as well.
As Weldstan noted revise your WPS and you are good to go.

Remember the sole purpose of a WPS is to give guidance to the welding workforce.
How can you possibly be giving them guidance when you are giving them a WPS with totally different materials noted than what they are actually welding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back