Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WPS/PQR question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyweld

Nuclear
Mar 21, 2008
CA
For the attached weld coupon, what is the base material thickness I should put in the PQR? what is the range of the qualified base material thickness(QW-451.1)I should put in the WPS?

Thank you so much for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Already reviewed QW-202.4, still confusion.
If I use 0.1" as base material thickness, the qualified range is 0.0625-0.2", this range does not include 0.68"

If I use 0.68" as base mateiral thickness, the qualified thickness is 0.1875" to 1.36", this range does not include 0.1"

How should I identify this

Thanks.

I think I found an interpretation that specifically addresses your question:

Interpretation: IX-81-38
Subject: Section IX, QW-202.4
Date Issued: September 14, 1981
File Number: BC-81-434
Related Documents:

Question: A test coupon is prepared as follows: A 1 in. thick plate has an 1/8 in. step machined from its top. A plate 1/8 in. thick is placed into the section of the 1 in. thick plate that has been machined and is then butted to the unmachined portion. This forms a dissimilar thickness joint, which is welded using the GTAW process. The coupon then satisfactorily passes the qualification testing. Would the joint described above qualify for a base metal thickness range of 1/16 in. to 2 in. and deposited weld metal thickness range of 1/16 in. to 1/4 in.?

Reply: Yes.

this is not too complicated of a case. The Base metal thickness welded is 0.10" welded to 0.68" (i.e. T), and 0.10" (t) weld thickness assuming the complete groove was filled up. If the P numbers of the base metal are different, the thicknesses are qualified individually. If the P numbers are the same, the thickness range qualified can be combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back