Status
Not open for further replies.

Faree

Petroleum
Nov 15, 2011
PK
Respected experts!

please give your kind opinion on following matter:

I want to run a WQT as per ASME IX, what is the acceptance criteria for a WQT with reference.
As per my understanding to qualify a WQT both options from following must be satisfied per QW 304.1:

a) Visual acceptance
b) Mechanical or volumetric testing

But what will be the acceptance criteria for visual per ASME IX. as QW 304.1 do not refer any clause for visual acceptance criteria. will it be QW 194?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think what Faree is looking for in Visual Inspection is what the root and cap should 'look' like to be acceptable before it is sent to be tested,such as a uniform crown throughout the weld, no undercut and no visual lack of fill, no surface porosity, no surface slag, no arc strikes. The root should be uniform also throughout the weld. No more than 3/32' in height and no more than 3/32' in concavity. No excessive penetration & no under cut. No burn thru with a repair etc. These VT inspections should be stated in a job welding test shop specification and does not have to be as I indicated. They should be discussed with the welder before the start of the test to let him know what is required of him. Remember that different contractors, different test shop inspectors might require different things to be acceptable in your test coupon. I do not think the code address these things.

Sorry folks, but the visual acceptance criteria of Section IX is very sparse.

QW-194 Visual Examination — Performance
Performance test coupons shall show complete joint
penetration with complete fusion of weld metal and base
metal.

While it isn't strictly in accordance with Section IX, I ask the contractor what construction code applies to the bulk of their work. I typically apply that visual acceptance criteria to the performance test. My justification is that it makes little sense to qualify a welder to the visual requirements of Section IX, send him or her to the job site and then discover they can't meet the job requirements. I list the construction code and in the case of B31.3, the fluid service class on the welder performance test report under the heading of visual examination. It does weed the skilled from the unskilled, but it saves the contractor time and money in the long run. However, to restate this practice is only with the agreement of the contractor. The welder is provided with a written copy of the visual criteria and WPS (supplied by the contractor) before welding starts.

Not everyone agrees with this approach. They take the position there is no prohibition against the use of the grinder to dress the completed weld or excessive melt-through as long as the sample passes the bend test or RT. In my opinion is that puts a welder with marginal skills on the job. That can be an expensive proposition for the employer.

Best regards - Al

Agree 100% with your comments Al.
Whether we are employed directly by the contractor, employed directly by the client or employed as a third-party our role is to ensure we are signing off on competent welders.
I value my reputation and my integrity so I will not sign off on something that looks like "a dogs breakfast" even though it may comply with the ASME IX code.
As you have stated previously as long as the welders are aware of the test requirements before they start the test there should be no problem.
Cheers,
Shane

When I am required to set up a 'Qualification Test Center'(Test Shop),I will always have the test shop supervisor explain to the welders what is required of them. I will also display weld samples of all the weld processes that we will be using in the field. These 'on display' weld samples are what is required to be visually acceptable for the weld test coupon and field welds. Of course these sample welds are visually 'awsome'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back