Wrapping a sketch around a complex surface to extrude into a solid

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallard

Aerospace
Oct 13, 2004
US
Hello all.

I am currently running version 1915. I am working on a project for 3D printing and I need to break my balloon model into separate solids where each solid represents a piece of the balloon. In this example I have the logo for the US Marines. I have the artwork of this logo as a sketch but it wraps too far around the balloon to be extruded in one direction only. Wrap curve does not work on this type of surface (in the NX version I have). I have tried a number of things, like wrapping the sketch onto a cylinder and cone that is similar in shape but that doesn't really work. Below is an example of the "easy" part sketch so you can see what I am trying to do. The difficulty is with the extreme left and right side of the sketch I need to project. Thank you!!

Image1_brc37r.jpg
Image2_n2mzfa.jpg
Image3_femqj4.jpg
Section_View_ksui6r.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Jerry, I did. The kicker here is the NX does not consider the surface I have to be "developable", therefore wrap curve is not an option for me.

For now, I have just a suggestion.
Save the balloon to a different file, because you are going to wreck it.
Do am OPTIMIZE FACE to all the faces only on the balloon, select all the faces with a rectangle. It will remove the parameters of it, but that's fine for now. You may need to use your command finder to locate the OPTIMIZE FACE command.
Now try to do a WRAP. I hope it works.

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX1899

This seems like a good use for Blender. I was in the middle of looking for a good video about it when the partial comment got posted.

One can take a vector file and convert to a mesh in Blender and there are tools for taking one mesh and bending it to match another. So far the best is a paid-for plug-in (it was $7.50 at discount; did not look for a current price.) That is less than I would expect 15 minutes of work, but needs some existing familiarity with Blender.

Thanks Dave, I have looked at Blender before and there seems to be some good tutorials on YouTube for it. Between NX, SW, F360, Hypermill, Esprit, I'm having a hard time getting motivated to learn another design package. I must be getting old.

Hi Dave,

The inner "cage" serves 2 purposes. 1), It keeps the lights from sitting directly on the outer shell because it looks weird if they do and 2), It adds material to the center at the top of the balloon to help it print, otherwise the printer can have trouble bridging that full gap. Thanks for the video link, I did watch a few blender tutorial videos on Saturday.

Hi Jerry, they are generally splines as all the images I need to work with are converted from an image file to DXF then imported into NX.

I'm not sure if this will work, but here's what I'd try:
Create a 1/2 revolve feature that approximates your balloon shape (imagine a lightbulb shape that is tangent to your outside surfaces, but without the bumps) and use "flattening and forming" to flatten the 1/2 revolve approximation. Use this to transfer your flat curves back to the approximated shape. Use the resulting curves/surface in a thicken operation and trim them to your actual balloon shape.

It might actually be better to use a shape slightly smaller than your balloon and thicken them outward...

If the thicken doesn't work, you could also try projecting the resulting curves onto your actual balloon shape. The approximate curves might work better than your flat sketch as a starting point.

www.nxjournaling.com

Thank you, sounds like a great option, unfortunately we seem to need an additional license for Studio Free Form. I would happily buy the additional license but we have not been able to get good support from the company where we bought our seat of NX.

Wrap curve isn't going to work here directly as the balloon surfaces have curvature in 2 directions (the surfaces are not "developable").

Perhaps if you wrap the sketch curves onto a suitably sized* cylinder (or cone) then project those curves onto the balloon surfaces. The wrapped curves might give you a better starting point for the final curves.

*I'd suggest varying the cylinder diameter to see how it affects the final results and using the size that gives the best compromise.

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back