Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrench material

Status
Not open for further replies.

madojabe

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2002
US
What's a good material to make a spanner wrench from. It is for an eight inch nut with lugs and is tightened by striking it with a sledge hammer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would recommend something with both high strength and high fracture toughness like SAE 4140 or SAE 4340 as a starting point. More highly alloyed steels like 300M (a modification to 4340 by adding silicon) and tool steels provide higher strength and wear resistance, but lower fracture toughness. Optimum properties can be produced by modifying the heat treatment (tempering time), but a first guess is that it should be heat treated to a hardness of ~ 35-39 HRC.

Wow! You play with big toys. Does a 8 inch nut need about a 40 lb sledge for proper torque? I have also seen similiar set-ups where the wrench was tightened and held with an overhead crane while striking. If this method is used, leave the wrench long enough. Wait a minute, the overhead crane will be needed to move the wrench.
I would investigate the proper welding on the material before purchasing. That way mistakes can be repaired, and the design features that only becone obvious at application can be added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back