Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrong contact stress calculation with 3D model, good with 2D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freemesh

Feb 26, 2004
GB
Hello,

I am a Ideas 9m2 user and I want to do a very simple Hertz Stresses calculation with the following parts (made of generic isotropic steel) :

a sphere (radius = 5 mm) is contacting a block, the block is blocked, a load of 60N is applied to the sphere. It is a classical problem.

A 2D axisymmetric model gives the exact values of contact stress, contact surface area and sphere displacement compared to analytical calculations.

With 3D model, FE stress is half the analytical stress, contact surface area and displacement are completely wrong. Elements size around contact location is close to software tolerances, I can't mesh finer.

Does anybody faces this kind of trouble? Do I do an enormous mistake or is there problem or bug with I-deas?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This type of contact is nonlinear because contact area increases as load is increased. Are you doing a linear or nonlinear analysis?

good57morning@netzero.com

Are you comparing your results to :
Po=0.388[(PE^2)/(R^2)]^(1/3)??
This is from "advanced mechanics of materials" by Cook and Young page 167

good57morning@netzero.com

Yes I am.

With R = 5mm, E = 196000MPa and P = 60 N, I should have 1750 MPa.

The 2D model gives 1790 MPa and the 3D model around 800 MPa.

Two possibilities : I do not click on the right button or there is a bug.

My solid elements are parabolic. I did two kind of meshing (free and mapped). Results are identical.

I do the non-linear analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back