Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WWHM3 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

msquared48

Structural
Aug 7, 2007
US
Anyone have a chance to try this program yet off the EPA website for stormwater analysis? Any problems to look out for? Quirks?

Western Washington Hydraulic Modeling, Revision 3. I guess revision 3 has only been out now a month or so. I just downloaded it off the site this weekend. I also have Hydrocad, but thought I would give this a try too.

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you provide a link to the download ? Googled it but couldn't find anything newer than version 2.

I've not used this program but I believe it is calibrated for western Washington state only. I work mainly in Oregon so I'm assuming it wouldn't be useful here, or anywhere else, without local calibration data. Is that your understanding too ?

It is for western Washington only. The link I used was

Look to the programs section on the left and search out stormwater. It is in this section and version 3 is listed as new - since mid September I believe. It has three sections to download - the program, the hydraulic database, and the manual of 95 pages.

Good hunting.

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

But, do you think it could be adapted to other areas of the country or the world ? If it is a good approach it would be of interest to many more people on this forum. Have you used it ? Have you used earlier versions ? Do you think it might be more widely applicable based on your experience ?

I have not used it yet. I have not even had a chance to open it up look to look at it as I only downloaded it late last night, but will in the near future when I have the time.

The main program should be able to be linked to a compatable hydraulic database for your region if the EPA has one. Notice that it did come tin three downloadable sections, one of which was the database. Why not ask your local EPA office?

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

OH. You other question - no, I have not used version 2 yet either, or 1 for that matter. This is a new one for me.

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

Thanks for the answers msquared.

I'll look, but I'm very doubtful there are databases available from EPA or anyone else. Let's both hope someone in Washington state responds to your post.

good luck

From HHWQ:

2007-08-10
WWHM (Western Washington Hydrology Model)

User friendly software application for sizing stormwater detention and water quality facilities to meet the Washington State Department of Ecology standards.

tsgrue: site engineering, stormwater
management, landscape design, ecosystem
rehabilitation, mathematical simulation

WWHM is a continuous hydrologic model developed for Western Washington that utilizes the HSPF engine. In WWHM you can change parameters from the general parameters developed for Western Washington, however you cannot change the rainfall data. When you run WWHM you have to load the county data in which the project is located. When you select the county, the rainfall (stored in a WDM file) is loaded and I believe a scaling factor is applied based on your location within the county. You could modify the WDM file with rainfall for your specific location (using ANNIE), but if you are going to those extents to use this model you might as well just run the simulation in HSPF.

Good morning.

This is just a reminder that the WWHM3 seminar is next Wednesday, October 17th at the Red Lion at the Quay.

Please attached brochure for more information. As you look at the brochure please note that the day mentioned of Thursday October 17th is incorrect. The date of the 17th is correct, but the day is Wednesday not Thursday.

Hope to see you there.

Ryan M. Jeynes, E.I.T.

Design Engineer

MacKay & Sposito, Inc.

1325 SE Tech Center Drive, Suite 140

Vancouver, WA 98683

Ph: (360) 695-3411

Fax: (360) 695-0833

The quick answer is that WWHM is not going to be much help if you are not in Washington state.

WWHM, WWHM2, & WWHM3 are WA state specific GUI front ends for the HSPF computational engine. I haven't tried WWHM3 but read about it. I hear that there may be a version of "WWHM3" that's been developed for part of California. These programs were developed (prior to WinHSPF) in response to WA state adopting a stormwater flow control standard that can only be assessed through continuous model simulations. The state was not comfortable that us dumb engineers would be able to figure out HSPF so they created WWHM as a more limited yet more user friendly (than DOS-HSPF) program with consistent output reporting that agency staff could review to assess if a project complied with the flow-duration standard.

With WWHM2, I don't recall an easy way to import or manipulate WDM files, which would be key to changing the geographic region. WWHM2 was set up entirely around WA state code and would not easily analyze projects that used a different criteria than WA state flow duration criteria, and was not usable to track water levels in ponds as is needed in cases. I found WWHM2 to be limited to the specifics of designing a flow control system to meet WA standard for flow duration control. Maybe WWHM3 is somehow more flexible (but I doubt it really addresses these issues, WA state is not paying their consultant to develop a nationwide tool!)

For nationwide continuous modeling tool IMO the preferred freeware/gov't sanctioned option would be EPA BASINS4.0, which includes WinHSPF, in part because EPA provides a WDM database (rainfall records, ET records, etc to use for input), or SWMM5. But really, who can afford to set up continous models for a project if the local code does not *require* it like here in WA.... until then CN based methods will likely continue to be the most cost-effective modeling approach.

RWF7437:

You mentioned "October 17th at the Red Lion at the Quay."

I do not know where or what the Quay is... is this in Portland, Oregon?

Any link to register? Thanks

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

maquared48,

The Inn at the Quay is a restaurant in Vancouver, WASHINGTON, NOT B.C. Contact Ryan Jeynes at the phone number or website link provided in my post.

I was simply forwarding, for your information, an email Mr. Jeynes had sent to me.

If you live or work in WA, this may be a useful seminar to you. I live and work in Oregon so I will not attend but I did find BLTSeattle's post very helpful ( as usual). Please read it too.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back