Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X-brace member check&select using STAADPRO per ASCE 10-97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xdesigning

Civil/Environmental
Oct 11, 2008
US
I've utilized STAADPRO to check&select X-brace members of a tower per to ASCE 10-97. But it seems that STAADPRO can't identify the X-brace members.

So I wonder whether the software be able to identify X-brace members automatically. If it can, how to achieve it?

Thanks ahead!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you mean "can't identify x-bracing"? If you want to analyse tension-only members, then you need to designate one diagonal inactive for one set of lateral loads, analyze, code check, restore the members and reverse inactive members and do another analysis.

This can all be done in one run.

Thanks for ur interest.

The X-brace system in a steel tower is designed as tension/compression system.

According to ASCE 10-97 (see page 58), for one member in the X-brace members under compression/compression, different length "L" (kL/r) should be taken depending on the other memebr's compression/compression status. Hereof,in some status, the length L1 (from one endpoint to crosspoint) should be used.

I wonder whether STAAD can idtify the length under different status automatically.

I don't know anything about ASCE 10-97. Maybe I should look into it.

However, from your description, I think what you want to do is set up 2 separate "code checks" or 2 separate "selects". You can change the effective length K factor for each code check. I think that you would want to use the load list command to restrict which loads or load combinations are used for which code check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back