X-Braced Configuration Intersection: To Weld or Not to Weld? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veer007

Civil/Environmental
Sep 7, 2016
IN
Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on/detailing an X-braced configuration, and I've encountered a situation where one of the braces will be discontinuous at the intersection. I'm trying to figure out the details of this intersection. Specifically, I'm wondering about the thru-plate that passes through a continuous brace: should it be welded to the brace or not? Could you please provide insights on when it should be welded and when it should not? Your expertise would be greatly appreciated.
Capturee_zvayii.png

Thanks in advance!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would normally weld that. Adding the weld will increase the stability of both the through plate and the HSS that it passes through. In most applications, there is not a need for braces to be able to move such that a release is needed at a joint like this.

Thank you for your response. I have seen some contract drawings where the Engineer of Record (EOR) explicitly states "do not weld," which has left me confused about the appropriate course of action.

Thanks in advance!!

Welding it might give you some extra capacity of the cut brace in compression (not that you would count on it). A little extra robustness is a good thing, except for some seismic applications.

The single bolt is a little perplexing, I must say.

They probably don't want you to weld the crossing so that the future building occupants will enjoy occasional banging and popping as the wind shifts back and forth. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back