Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XREF HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVEDRUM

Civil/Environmental
Nov 21, 2010
US
I have recently started using xref's instead of tabs.
If I have 10 to 15 drawings all with a main xref, and I
add a layer to the main xref late in the project. Is there a way to freeze that layer in all drawings, without going into every drawing and freezing that layer? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the layer dialog box, try picking "New Layer VP Frozen in All Viewports". Don't know if that will work, but... Also try just freezing it in the XRef.

If I understand this correctly, you are adding a new layer to a drawing(=child drawing) that is going to be Xref'ed. Freeze that layer in the drawing (child drawing) to be X ref'ed and automatically all drawings (parent drawings) with that Xref'ed drawing(child drawing) will be frozen since the Xref'ed drawing (child drawing) is linked but not actual part of the parent drawings.

What chicopee said is correct, in some cases. Depends on the visretain setting (0 vs 1)

One takes the layer settings from the xref file, while the other saves the layer settings in the individual files. If THAT is the case, (as are some of our projects here) we use layer states to remember the individual sheet settings for the layers. (it also gives you the option to turn off layers that are added later, which sounds like it might be what you're looking for, again, depends on the visretain setting.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back