Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xref PDF not Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFreund

Structural
Aug 14, 2010
US
I believe I have done this successfully before so I'm not sure what the problem is. I beleive I have Here is the situation.

AutoCAD 2013 Windows XP
I have a drawing (Drawing A) that contains a PDF (using PDF attach) with text over the PDF.
I then have this drawing Xref'd into another drawing (Drawing B). When I print this drawing (Drawing B). The text prints but the pdf does not.
In Drawing A the pdf is on the 0 layer.
In Drawing B the pdf is on 0 layer.
The 0 layer is not frozen and is set to print.
The xref in drawing B is set to overlay and relative (I tried absolute).
I can see the pdf in drawing B.
PDFrame is set to 2 in dwg A and B.

Any Ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

EIT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The sure fix I would recommend is convert the *.pdf to a *.jpg file and then attach as an xref. It should be faster and will not bog down autocad/computer system resources. Also, depending on how the *.pdf file was created, it may have been corrupted in some manner by the *.pdf file writer itself. Finally, make sure the *.pdf does not have a password set.

I understand there is now a pdf underlay feature in autocad 2013 that started with the 2010 version which is supposed to have more advanced features.

Good luck.

I don't use 2013, however the PDF in drawing A is copied and pasted,therefore, I am not surprised that it did not work when you Xref'ed drawing A into B because the PDF file is not a a vector file.
You may have to redo the copy and paste of the PDF file into drawing B.

I will try to verify this tomorrow but I believe it worked fine in 2012. I'm not sure if I would say the pdf is 'copied' into Drawing A. I have inserted the pdf into drawing A using the pdfattach command. I'm not sure if it is the same. Then in Dwg B I xref Drwg A. It shows up but does not print. The reason I did this was that it seemed to not bog down the computer as much as when you directly attach the pdf.

First I will confirm the same setup works in an older version then maybe I will try to post in an the Autocad forum.

EIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back