Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xrefs in viewport layer set as do not plot

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngEIT

Civil/Environmental
Jan 4, 2008
US
i have a habit of creating a "XREF" layer in a production file which i make active before xref'ing design files. sometimes, i find others (not really following the procedure) have xrefs in the viewport layer and going crazy about why it does not show up in plot preview and plotted sheets. does anyone have a trick up his/her sleeve on how to alleviate this? i think a lot of people set their viewport layer not to plot or freeze/off in paperspace. i was thinking down the lines of setting the viewport to a color which will not plot, but i am not sure of two things:
a. the only way i can think of to set a color to not plot is by making it screen at 0% (i may be wrong, since it will plot white, which is black again in ACAD).
b. if the viewport color is set to not plot somehow, will that mean it will not plot the xref as well which is in that layer?
all help/suggestions are appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Everything on a layer follows the layer properties. My suggestions are to always put the viewport on layer Defpoints and never attach XRefs on layer Defpoints. I hope others have better suggestions for you.

IRF, when reading your comment it seems that you are suggesting to place viewports on the Defpoint layer which we strongly discourage doing that.
YoungEIT, are these viewports in model or paper space?

chicopee - why not put PaperSpace viewport borders on DefPoints? They don't plot and are automatically in drawings with dimensions. For me Defpoints is the perfect layer for viewport borders.

" i find others (not really following the procedure) have xrefs in the viewport layer and going crazy about why it does not show up in plot preview and plotted sheets. does anyone have a trick up his/her sleeve on how to alleviate this?"

Yes, Threats of violence.

Kidding aside, the problem is your people are not following the procedures/standards. Until you can get that to change any changes to your standards will have disappointing results.

IRF, I don't dispute what you are saying, however, DEFPOINTS stands for "definition points" and a special layer was set up for these points which you use when you dimension an object. Read the "definition points" material under the Help section and you'll note that it was not intended for the purpose that you mentioned, eventho, many of us have in the past done exactly what you are doing.

YoungEIT, your problem can be due to a multitude of sins. For example, check the layer properties for do not plot, layer is off, objects are on defpoints so they will not plot and Xreferencing drawings dont like to be nested more than I believe once.

I personally don’t have any issues with him using “defpoints” for a viewport layer, but with that said I do have a designated layer specifically for viewports.

But, back to the issue at hand. I would check to see what layer the x-ref’s are on and see if they are on the defpoint layer or any other layer with plotting turned off. (Refer to image: ) If that is not the case then I would run a Purge and Audit on the drawing, or if need be on the xref’ed drawings also. (From the command line in cad.) There are times that errors in the drawing can cause issues like that. If none of that fix your problem try detaching the xref with the plotting issue and reattach it. (Being sure it is on a plotting layer.)

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back