Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Y14.3 Section lining

Status
Not open for further replies.

looslib

Mechanical
Jul 9, 2001
US
ASME Y14.3 says that no cross hatching is done on cylindrical parts when the section is down the longitudinal center.
Does someone know the parameter requited in the file(s) and the config.pro setting to enable this?
Also, what version of Creo was it introduced in?
Unigraphics had this in the late 1990's and it is a great tool for use with standard hardware items. I have been asking for it with Wildfire and Creo for a number of years and at PTC LiveWorx last week, it was shown in a demo, but I forgot to write down the information.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That doesn't seem correct - typically one doesn't section the most interior solid cylinder - if a pin is pressed into a hole the section through the hole doesn't section the pin, that sort of thing.

4.3.1 Sectioning Assembled Items. When the cutting
plane lies along the longitudinal axis of items, such as
shafts, bolts, nuts, rods, rivets, keys, pins, screws, ball
or roller bearings, gear teeth, spokes, and the like, these
parts are not sectioned except when internal construction
is shown. See Fig. 47.
Screenshot_2023-05-23_135336_kt9odi.png

Ben Loosli

That's what I wrote. By default Creo doesn't know what a pin or a bolt is. So it's been up to the user to exclude those items from the section.

It was confusing when you said no crosshatching as opposed to no sectioning. Those are the exact words you quoted - "not sectioned" as opposed to "not crosshatched."

Not sure how other systems do this - perhaps they have some attribute in the part that indicates they are not to be sectioned?

In Unigraphics, we had a part level attribute (parameter) that when it was in the file and set to No, the system would not section line those parts.
There is a parameter in Creo, as it was demonstrated at LiveWorx last week, but I didn't write it down and can't remember it. It might also require a config.pro option. I will keep looking to find it.

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back