Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yellow Triangle Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

lab2010

Aerospace
Mar 21, 2014
US
I just performed the pattern feature operation in NX 8.5, and I am getting a yellow triangle alert next to it in the part navigator. The features I "patterned" were fairly complex, at least by my standards. I included 14 different features in the pattern operation. A few of those features were Subtract Operations that involved some Swept objects.

When I hover over the name in the part navigator, it tells me that " Subtract (#s) do not support changing pattern method after creation. Choose desired method carefully". I have gotten this warning in the past when I have patterned a Subtract feature, but it never resulted in a yellow triangle in the navigator when completed. That makes me think something else wrong, but I can't find any other information on it. The pattern instance seems to be exactly what I want, but I can't get the alert to disappear.

How can I verify the cause of the alert? If it is just warning me that I cannot change the pattern method (I won't ever need to) how can I get rid of the alert in the navigator? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the feedback item is 'Yellow' it's simply a warning and NOT an error. It should still work, within the limits indicate. If it were 'Red' then there was a failure of somekind.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

By the way. I've always found the warning "<some feature> do not support changing pattern method after creation. Choose desired method carefully" really uneeded. During the pattern options selection it creates an impression that you're doing something wrong when actually you're not. Is it possible to disable it permanently?

Industry creates wealth!

It's possible that you may no longer see this starting with NX 9.0 are we've made some changes to Pattern Feature to support certain cases more fully. There were a few issues depending on whether you started out creating a Pattern using the 'Simple' instead of the 'Variational' method. What was done was to support more cases where you can use 'Simple' (which is more efficient in terms of model size and speed of update) versus 'Variational'. While there are still some times where 'Variational' will still be needed, there are more cases where to can start in 'Simple' and still make it work without any warnings or having to swtich to 'Variational' due to some edit later on.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Thanks, John! Good to hear. Have to admit that speed of update of the Variational method is an issue.

Industry creates wealth!

Yes, the biggest issue with the first implementation of Pattern Feature was that if you first created the Pattern using the 'Simple' mode you could NOT later edit it to change it to 'Variational' if you discovered that it needed to have 'Variational' to start with. More recent versions of NX will now allow you edit a Pattern, changing it from 'Simple' to 'Variational' (and vice versa) as well as supporting more situations where 'Simple' will work thus assuring the best possible update performance. In fact, with the later versions of NX, I would ALWAYS use 'Simple' unless I receive an explicit warning that what I'm doing requires that I use 'Variational' instead.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back