Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yellow Zinc Chromate - ASTM D478 still valid? Other typcial specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColonelMonk

Mechanical
Nov 18, 2014
US
Howdy

We have begun to spec some yellow zinc plate on some mild steel components.

We have had a few batches of parts looking less yellow than others, and there was some report of some "white corrosion" from our finished inventory recently.

Looking at what I should be expecting from the plating house, so I can call and discuss with them.

How are most of you specifying typical yellow zinc chromate plate? Thickness?

Is ASTM D478 Type II still valid? I ask, because I read that due to RoHS, the hexavalent chromium is banned, and replace with less harmful trivalent chromium. Also says that any yellow color is probably a dye to make it yellow.....

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.finishing.com/565/60.shtml[/url]

Basically, we're a traffic / road safety outfit that manafactures various equipment trailers. By and large, these units spend their lives outside.

We do lots of powdercoat and some galvanizing as well, but these parts are telescoping tubes and none of that works well. The parts fit great with the zinc plating, I would just like to spec the best zinc plating we can get, and spec it to make sure we're getting what we pay for.

Thanks for the help,

CM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back