Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Yield-Line analysis by AISC's Carlo Lini ==> using SketchUp 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingenuity

Structural
May 17, 2001
US
In the Feb 2019 issue of AISC's Modern Steel Construction magazine, Carlo Lini (AISC's director of technical assistance) has a good article in "steelwise" segment on yield-line analysis and how to determine flexural limit states.

The article link is here: Link on pages 17-19, or see the attached PDF.

A unique approach Carlo uses is using SketchUp to displace/rotate the yield-line and determine the rotations. A tutorial video is here: [link aisc.org/yieldvid]Link[/url]

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=17485365-4f59-45e7-a1aa-17713ff5c00d&file=YIELD-LINE_ANALYSIS_-_CARLO_LINI_-_Modern_Steel_Construction_-_February_2019.pdf
Thanks for posting, I can see this being damn handy as a design (or checking) tool for those cases that don't meet any published or easily derived solutions.

Still involves picking a valid or critical mechanism, but I can see it being a good way to visualise whether you have a mechanism or not so you don't miss any of those yieldlines!

For what it's worth, I think Carlo's sketch up solution may be more accurate than the formulas. The Formulas, I believe assume an infinitely thin web, whereas he sketches it out to his exact geometry.

Agent666: You are welcome. Indeed, a very handy tool.

JoshPlum: Good point on the thin web assumption vs Carlo taking into account the web/flange thickness geometry.

AISC has some great technical info - Engineering Journal, Modern Steel, their Night School series, Youtube channel etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back