Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yield Strength of Steel Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejay

Structural
Jan 24, 2002
US
Hi Everyone:

I am trying to find the Ultimate and Yield Strengths of galvanized annealed mild steel wires. I need this to design the support system for suspended ceilings. AISC and other handbooks gives the wire gage sizes only. Any idea where I can find the strengths?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a US Steel document "Tiger Brand Wire Rope Engineering Hand Book" pubished in the 1960's that has numerous tables listing the "breaking strength" of assorted sizes of wire rope (each composed of a specified number of individual wires). This book has the following quote: "The breaking strengths and weights ... are in accordance with Wire Rope Simplified Practice Recommendation R198-43. This simplification was issued by teh United States Department of Commerce through the National Bureau of Standards and was made effective February 15, 1943."
An added statement is: "When these ropes are Galvanized, deduct 10% from the above listed strengths."

Probably much more modern info available - but here is a start.

With galvenised steel wire, I would be very careful in using anywhere near the published wire strength because the galvanising process can be severe on the strength properties. you may be safer looking at the mild steel strength and using that only. Mild steel as use in Hot Rolled Sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back