Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Yikes-Target Damaged due to Hillside Collapse 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As usual, plenty of signs for those who know how to read them, at least from 2015 forward. I confess the advantage of hindsight. Interventions were underway but too little and too late.

Screenshot_at_2024-02-16_08-38-58_hn0aey.png

Screenshot_at_2024-02-16_08-34-03_nhxjbt.png

Google Maps

xoom_._Screenshot_at_2024-02-16_08-35-47_injf3z.jpg

At the other end of the property, we see where the fill material was sourced to level the property.

Screenshot_at_2024-02-16_08-53-45_aar9x5.png

Google Maps - overview

It looks like they scalped off the top of a hill and filled the edges to make the flat site pad. I read it was some leaking pipes that caused the recent failure, but I would imagine it was settlement or partial slope failure that led to the leaking pipes that then exacerbated the slope failure and the chain reaction kept making both failures worse progressively. I wonder if we'll ever hear the root cause analysis or if it will be buried in court files by lawyers and settled behind the scenes. I would not want to be the geotech, site civil, or contractor on this one. I imagine the store is going to be a total loss.

#

There was a Target near me that used a near vertical wall of interlocking panels to hold the hillside below the store. I think it was a 100 foot x 30 foot section of the panels peeled and fell over. The hill did not move much but there was a large amount of concern. As usual, people who buy ads on TV don't get the TV coverage of their corrective actions where no injuries or major damage is done.

Homes placed on a soft rock bluff by the ocean are here for a good time, not a long time.

The target failure is interesting since the failure plane is pretty far back.

From Jed's link,

[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/02/19/target-collapsed-hillside-west-virginia/72664634007/[/URL]]In 2011, the West Virginia Supreme Court reversed a judgement against the general contractor's firm that constructed the store and said they "could not have known that groundwater was the significant contributing cause of the settlement"

Obviously, if the ducks on the pond aren't quaking, the pond doesn't exist. But then again, who was the general and were they a different entity than the site developer. No one wants to be given a pile of loon muck to build on. Who signed off on the geotech post 2011 info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back