Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

York Chillers, OPC & Automation in Visual Studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKahle89

Chemical
Sep 25, 2008
US
Engineers,

I'm relatively new to the world of industrial networking as a chemical engineer, but I'm working on a project that should challenge me quite a bit.

I'm going to be installing a few refrigeration units that I want to network with an OPC server using Modbus protocol. I think I've got this part figured out; see attached []. I'll probably use KepserverEX with the Modbus/TCP driver to do the talking. One I have it all mapped out, I want to develop and OPC client to monitor the process.

I'm pretty savy with VB.net and C#.net, but I don't have any experience writing applications for process control or process monitoring. I basically want to develop an HMI that will work with an OPC server. Ideally, I'd like to have some process graphics and animations ect ect. Can anyone suggest the best software packages to use? What vendors supply the best class libraries for connecting an application to an OPC server? I want to be able to subscribe to tags so that I don't have to poll them constantly. I'd also like the subscriptions to be multithreaded, so that some threads (process changes) can take priority over others when necessary. Any experts on this stuff in this forum?

Thanks!
Seth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back