Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Young's Modulus of BS4360 steels

Status
Not open for further replies.

avangasse

Mechanical
Mar 26, 2001
GB
Could anyone tell me the diffence in Young's Modulus between grade 43A and 50D steels?
The books all seem to omit it.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Young's modulus for low carbon steels such as these does not vary much, with a value near 207 GPa.

you should be careful using matweb.com (or any online source) - sometimes the young's modulus figures just don't make sense. I forget precisely what material I was looking at the other day (some kind of steel I think), but the young's modulus from matweb was listed as 133GPa, while all other sources that I checked put it closer to 200GPa.

Where have you found BS4360 material? I thought it had been made obsolete years ago by BSEN 10025. According to the British pressure vessel code the value for Young’s modulus is valid for all carbon steel.

You will find different codes will quote different values, these are minimum specified and may well be quite different from the actual values gained from a tensile test.

Temp°C Youngs modulus x 1000N/mm2
0 210
20 209
150 202
200 199
300 191
400 18.1
500 174
600 162

Hope this helps

Regards
John