Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zinc-Plated Brass

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfailure

Materials
Aug 7, 2011
US
I wanted your thoughts: I have a galvanic coupling between a leaded brass component and aluminum foil that wrapped around a polymer jacket. The coupling may see moisture on occasion and prevention of galvanic corrosion of the aluminum has been specified. For practical reasons, the aluminum cannot be coated. I was wondering whether it is practical to zinc-plate the brass component, the idea being the zinc would be sacrificial and would be sufficient for the light moisture conditions.

Any thoughts on this idea? Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It at the very least needs metal-metal contact- this doesn't sound there is- plastic jacket. Moisture is a not an decent electrical path only a decent ionic pathway so you can't get galvanic corrosion. And even if there metal/metal contact, you need to have the relative areas of the two metals to have an idea of whether there will be corrosion.

Use translation assistance for Engineers forum

Note the rules include No Student posting

There is metal-to-metal contact - the aluminum is over (not under) the jacket and directly contacts the brass fitting. Yes, galvanic corrosion happens when water enters the system - take this as fact. Is the concept of zinc plating the brass feasible, and do you think it would work?

There are different zinc plating solutions: zincate solutions are typically used for depositing zinc on non-ferrous metals like aluminum. Unfortunately I do not have ASM HANDBOOK Volume 5 at home right now, but you might investigate this option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back