Zinc rich primer Vs Zinc Rich epoxy 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallurgistrbi

Petroleum
Nov 24, 2004
QA
I came across a client specification which reads like this
1. Zn rich primers shall be 2 pack epoxy media and must contain 80% metallic zinc by weight in dry film
2. Zn rich epoxy shall have 40% min. weight content of epoxy.

How can both be possible at the same time?

or Am i missing something.?

Thanks in advance for your inputs and feedback.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes Steve...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Epoxy doesn't cure by evaporation of solvent so whatever the zinc content it will remain the same from wet to dry.

It sounds like the primer is 80% and the top coat is 40%, but that answer really needs to come from the client. At 40% there is considerable option for color, at 80%, not so much.

Note a is about primer.

Note b is about paint.

Is that attached image from the client?

These appear to be notes for some other drawing that confirms which combination is required.

Take a look at a manufacturer's datasheet for a zinc rich epoxy primer. Let's take Hempel Hempadur Zinc 17360 for example (no promoting here, just an illustrative example):

1. It states "In compliance with SSPC-Paint 20, type 2, level 2" - thus it claims to be an organic zinc rich coating containing a zinc dust pigment at 75% < x < 85% (BY WEIGHT)

2. It has a volume solids of 65 +/- 2% ( = Dry Film Thickness/Wet Film Thickness)

3. It also has a nominal VOC content - meaning that there will be some evaporative losses

4. It does not give an epoxy content

You just have to think how does a nominal 80% zinc content still only register a volume solids of 65% (WEIGHT v VOLUME)

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

@Sjones.

I came across 17360. In their safety data sheet epoxy content given as max. 10% where as % Zinc (Zinc + zn oxide) comes around 80%. so the first point is satisfied where as the 2nd point is not.

I am still at loss about how to interpret this.?

Where does the 2nd point come from? I don't see anything that says both points are for the same material. I do see where the two requirements are for two materials.

Great question SJones - ASK THE ORIGINAL POSTER LIKE I DID.

HERE"S WHAT HE IS WORKING FROM:

Capturedsa_w9einc.png

Indeed, as the OP is finding out, the inclusion of “i.e. zinc rich epoxy” is not compatible with the associated requirement of 40% weight content of epoxy.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

That was my concern with my initial comment that I deleted.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Zinc-rich epoxy primers come in a lot of flavors... What Specification(s)???

Aerospace?
Civil Engineering?
Maritime/ship/structures/etc?

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

I wasn't aware of the coating that Steve mentioned... but looked into it, and have added it to my list of coatings.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back