Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ôNewö butterfly valve designs (ôPiggableö, ôQuadruple Offsetö, etcà) from Germany 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NGiLuzzu

Mechanical
Dec 17, 2002
RO
Dear Forum Fellow Members,
here in old Europe, we Italians - for instance - are usually considered to be more creative and imaginative than Germans, which are regarded as more strict and conservative instead.
Maybe in the case of industrial valves this is not valid anymore​
;-)

I say so because, in addition to the “QUADRUPLE OFFSET” mentioned in thread408-355807 [*], I also came across “PIGGABLE BUTTERFLY” valves from a German Manufacturer [**].​

[*] := see
[**] := see

What do you think about those designs? Would they result actually useful, in Your opinion?
If so, in which applications?
Moreover, is Anybody aware of any other “new”, non-conventional or unusual valve designs that could be discussed along with these ones?​

Many THANKS in advance and… a HAPPY 2014,

‘NGL

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good idea, but does it have any history?
This Armacon design is a close copy of the Orbit Valve concept but is not correct to call it a Butterfly Valve.

prognosis: Lead or Lag

In the loose definition of "butterfly valve" I have in my mind there is always a post that blocks part of the flow. That "Piggable Butterfly" valve is a quarter turn valve that would (in my definition) put it in the same category as the Fisher V-Ball (which is not really a ball valve at all since it doesn't actually have a ball).

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Law is the common force organized to act as an obstacle of injustice Frédéric Bastiat

Thank you for the link to the quadruple/triple ofsset valves. Very illustrative!

On the 'piggable valve' I agree with Zdas04: could be compared to either V- ball (several produsers, including Fisher), double eccentric ball-valve, and eccentric - plug-valve, and could probably compete with theese for clean fluids with reasonable flows where delta p and cavitation gives no or/small problems.

As always:cost/lifetime/dependabillity for all solutions will have to be compared to give an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back