Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ôUnigraphics without PDMö; How To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UGDAVE

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2004
US

The major cad program here is ProE. The PDM program is tailored for ProE (Product Center). I am using Unigraphics for GM programs.

The problem is in the data management of the UG files. I can use Product Center, but only as a vault. What is the best way to manage these files? Is it that you delete the parameters and only store the dumb solid? Do you delete only the parameters that are tied into the GM mathdata? These are pretty simple parts, not a lot of parametric features needed.

The folder might contain the following:
1) The base part file.
2) An assembly file, all parts in one file, maybe brought in as parasolids.
3) A drawing for the base part.
4) A drawing for the assembly.

I know that some of the above may seem old, maybe even ridiculous, but I thought is might be a good way of getting a good thread going and generating some good ideas.

Thanks,
David Sell

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Even though the parts are simple, why throw away the means to easily edit those parts? You probably aren't saving much memory by eliminating the sketches.

If your assembly does not contain any models, but only references models from other files, it isn't very large.

We use Matrix to store our files and store the entire UG part file. In addition, we also create a .tif file of the drawing and store it so others without UG can at least view the drawing and/or print same.

Note: we don't use UG to create the .tifs as the image and printing were poor. We plot the drawing and use another software utility to build the .tif file from the .hpp file.

I had the same issue with UG files for UG.

Normally, for every drawing, we'll have a pdf of the drawing line art and then a folder of all associated CAD files. Since GM uses mathdata instead a drawing, I don't make a pdf file. Instead, I zip together all of the dumb solid files that are sent to GM (after they go through the checker). This zip file takes the place of the pdf for our document control.

I also keep all of the fully-parametric files that created the mathdata in a separate folder. These are not sent to GM. If there is every a change, I don't have to redo anything. Just make the change and regenerate the mathdata.

Like rghay mentioned for people without UG, I keep some additional files that are not sent to GM that captures the mathdata line art.

we are using NX2 without a PDM for the time being and we need a way to prevent 2 people from opening the same file and leaving one person without the ablity to save... can anyone give me a solution until the company brings in MATRIX

Without a PDM or some custom code, there is no way to prevent 2 people from modifying the same file in a native file system.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

...unless you change the security settings of the file, but that would be quite a hassle to keep resetting if more than one person needs to make any changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back