Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ôVariable Primary Flow Chilled Water Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

imok2

Mechanical
Oct 21, 2003
US
I thought some of you might be interested in this:
The Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Technology Institute (ARTI) has released a final report on a research project titled “Variable Primary Flow Chilled Water Systems: Potential Benefits and Application Issues.” To download a copy of the final report, visit the ARTI Web site at

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Having had to do the start up for the centrifugals on many of these type of systems, I've come to feel that the "issues" can seem to out wieght the "benefits". I know in theroy it sounds great, but pay close attention to the rate of flow change, also make sure that flows don't drop below min. design these two issuses can drive a centrifugal chiller crazy!!
Another word of advice, be sure that the condenser water temperature is allowed to drop as the flow/load decreases.
We had to replace the thrust bearing on a machine less that two years old. I feel a lot of the surging was caused by the control system resetting the chilled water flow from outside air temperature, with no reguard to the rate of change (possibly too sensitve to ambient change would be more accurate), that and a cooling tower system set to provide 80 degree condenser water come hell or high water.

I'm not a real engineer, but I play one on T.V.
A.J. Gest, York Int.

Sorry, try this: then go to "research programs", ARTI 21CR Program, then to "hvacr energy efficiency", scroll down to project G11-20070.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back