Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

0-100 mVAC to 0-10 VDC convertor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eb707

Mechanical
Dec 27, 2002
Hi,

What would be the best way to create a 0-100 mVAC to 0-10 VDC convertor circuit? I have found signal convertors available via the internet that would do the trick but if not too difficult I would be interested in making one myself.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If this is for professional use (which it should be in these fora) and if you are not doing electronic design work ("mechanical" indicates that you are not) then the best bet is to use what you found.

There are "precision rectifiers" that are easily constructed and they convert AC to DC. An amplifier after the converter takes the level to where you want it.

One big question is: Is it rectified mean or RMS that you want to convert? What is the frequency of your AC signal? Required precision, temperature range, cost, number of units are also important considerations.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Thanks for replying Gunnar,

The converter is to add a current logging functionality to my personal tools. AC current transducer>analogue data logger.

Rectified mean would be ok. The frequency of the AC signal is 50Hz. Precision +/- 2%, temperature range 10 to 45 deg C, cost as little as possible, number of units = 1.

Thanks logbook,

Just had a chance to build this circuit up and it works good. One question though, below 10mVAC input I get a negative VDC output i.e. 6 mVAC in = -43mVDC out. How can I tune the circuit so the output is calibrated to 0mVAC in = 0 VDC out?

seems to be easy to rectify via a opamp and then a zero and span circuit or even easier using a microcontroller instead the zero and span, just few lines of programming, thats all..

best

killabyte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back