1/4 HP AC motor with CE declaration of conformity 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulKraemer

Electrical
Jan 13, 2012
US
Hi,

I am in the USA (New Jersey), and I am looking for a 1/4 HP 230 VAC asynchronous motor with a 56C face that is CE compliant. For this project, I have to submit my electrical bill of materials to consultants we have hired to verify CE compliance. For every active component, they require a CE declaration of conformity that covers the current standards. For the last few days, I have had a very difficult time getting declarations of conformity from the motor manufacturers I typically use, including Baldor, Leeson, and Marathon, and up to this point, the ones I have been able to get are out of date. My consultants are looking for a declaration of conformity that covers Low Voltage Directive 2014/35/EU as well as standards 60034-1 and 60034-5. EMC directive 2014/30/EU would be a plus, but may not be absolutely necessary.

If anyone here can recommend a motor manufacturer that supplies the USA market and is likely to carry 1/4 HP, 230 VAC, 56C face motors with proper CE documentation, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks and best regards,
Paul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

North American motor must comply with ANSI or CSA standards.
CE is a European standard.
It may be time to consider re-evaluating your compliance policy.
If you are selling into Europe, a CE compliance on a 60 Hz motor may not be applicable at 50 Hz.
That may be something for your consultants to evaluate.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Look for a 180W (.18kW) motor from an IEC supplier. It will most likely be 230V 50Hz with a metric shaft and may not exactly mach an NEMA C face hole pattern, so be prepared to adapt.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

If you're selling into the European motor then fit a European motor. The maintenance guys will curse you if they ever have to replace a NEMA pattern motor over here in Europe.

We've been though this for a few explosion-proof NEMA motors on our site which arrived as part of pumps sourced from the US many years ago: finding an ATEX-certified NEMA motor is difficult to say the least. We eventually bought from Brook motors who sell their W-Series motors into both the North American and European markets. I suspect they can probably help in your application too.

Hi waross, jraef, and ScottyUK,

Thank you for your help. We are used to NEMA because we primarily deal in the USA. It wouldn't be terribly hard for us to switch to european / metric had we thought of this in advance, but being we have already purchased a NEMA gearbox, I was hoping I could find a NEMA motor. I didn't think it would be such a challenge, but it makes sense that if NEMA is primarily used in the USA, manufacturers of NEMA motors would not consider European compliance of very high importance. Anyway, I did find a motor from Brook that whose conformity documentation might have been adequate but was less than ideal according to my consultants. Eventually, I found a motor from Marathon that had a conformity document referencing exactly the standards they were hoping to see. It was a challenge getting this document as it is not readily available on the Marathon (Regal Beloit) website, and it isn't very easy to get an email response or a human on the phone, but I eventually got through and got the info I needed.

I appreciate all of your help.

best regards,
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back