Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1/8 BARB DESIGN PA66 25% GLASS FILL. WHAT NOTES FOR TESTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagineers

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2010
CA
designed a 1/8 barb made of pa66 25% glass fill. I want to put some notes like pull test force notes and break force notes on the drawing. I put on a 25KG tubing pull test but I want to also put on a note to test breaking force for the barb itself since its only a 1/8 barb, what force should I spec on this? It will not be subjected to alot of force as it the other end is being inserted into a block of plastic. It would be lighter force from user manipulation of the barb and tubing.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e7df2650-3a22-4bcf-82d6-2fe353af9e33&file=0.125_BARB.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What are the forces that the barb could see? How much of the barb will be exposed as that will determine the moment arm. You should consider a pressure test to (SF x working pressure) if this is going to hold pressure. Maybe a burst test on a sample from each lot. It is about meeting the relevant regulations and most importantly ensuring the end users and the public's safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back