Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

1 Bushing vs 2 Bushing PT Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockman7892

Electrical
Apr 7, 2008
US
I'm specifying wye-wye PT's on a 34.5kV system that is a Delta system but grounded through a zig-zag transformer with NGR. Can these PT's be standard 20125/35000 GRD Y single bushing PT's or do they have to be a 2-bushing PT for potential elevated L-G voltage during a ground fault?

I know typically on ungrounded or impedance grounded systems the PT's require 2-Bushing PT's rated for full L-L voltage that would be present during a ground fault. In this case it would be a 20125/35000 Y rated PT.

Also I was looking at a PT that had a rating nomenclature of 34500/34500 GRD Y. What does this rating indicate? Why is the L-L voltage repeated twice on here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"standard 20125/35000 GRD Y single bushing PT's" - yes. The system is ineffectively grounded and the overvoltage on healthy phases during an SLG fault will be addressed by selecting the voltage factor to be 1.9.
"nomenclature of 34500/34500 GRD Y" - the rating says that phase-to-ground insulation is same as Phase-to-phase insulation in this case.

R Raghunath

Even though your the 34.5kV system is DELTA ungrounded during normal operation, it transforms to an effectively grounded
system (provided that the ZZ transformer is properly sized) during a single line to ground fault. Therefore, in my opinion,
you can use single bushing VTs even with voltage factor 1.1.

Thanks for the response.

What does the Rated Voltage Factor indicate? For a particular PT I'm looking at I see them as 1.1 or 1.25 with some of them listed as "@64% burden"

So based on your description above of the 34500/34500 GRD Y PT this would be a PT that would could be applied on an ineffectively grounded system? It appears this would be a 1-bushing PT but would be rated for L-L during ground faults as mentioned?

34500/34500 GRD Y is an odd-ball rating normally seen in switchgear applications where the VT is spec'd to be able to take the line-to-line voltage indefinitely, but is a single-bushing VT connected line-to-ground....so it's normally energized at 58% rated voltage. To my understanding it's rated like that for ratio/relay input reasons and not because of fault-condition/OVF reasons, but I could be wrong on that. Not sure what the "@64% burden means".

To answer your original question, from a practical perspective, I would recommend purchasing a 2-bushing VT with line-to-neutral rating, e.g. 34500Y/20125V with a 175/300:1 ratio. The price difference between a 1-bushing and 2-bushing VT with line-to-neutral ratio is pretty small (<10%).

Or, if it's a delta system, consider going with a true L-L rated unit like 34500Y/34500V, 300:1 ratio and connect them L-L. We're seeing a lot of ferro-resonance coming up now at 34.5kV applications on renewables and data centers because of a lot of cable capacitance (we think)...connecting the VTs line-to-line reduces the chance of ferro-resonance to some degree.

Rated Voltage factor of 1.2 continuous and 1.9 for 30s is recommended by IEC 61869-3 for VTs meant to be used in non-effectively earthed systems that include automatic tripping in case of SLG fault.

R Raghunath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back